Anyplace Select: Neighborhood Guide to NEMA San Francisco
by Joe Frabotta
Thanks for joining us! Right in the heart of downtown San Francisco, our Anyplace Select units at NEMA are home to beautiful views of the city and minutes walking distance from restaurants, bars, coffee, shopping, and the subway.
Our team has lived in the properties to find the best coffee shop in the area, work out in the on-site gym, meet the neighbors poolside, and most importantly, collaborate with the Anyplace team from our in-unit office setup.
We love this place and hope you do too.
Before you dive in, connect with fellow Anyplace Select members in your area through our WhatsApp group. Introduce yourself and plan a coffee chat with your new neighbors who are also working remotely.
Here are some local tips to get started.
Table of Contents
- Coffee Shops
- Coworking Spaces
- Pharmacies and Clinics
- Things to Do
- Favorite Apps
Transportation in San Francisco
If you’re arriving at SFO, the apartment complex is located a 22-minute drive from the airport without traffic. It’s common to use a ridesharing app like Uber or Lyft in San Francisco. Follow the signs for the ridesharing pickup location outside of the baggage claim.
Alternatively, you can take the BART (subway) from SFO and get off at the Civic Center Station stop. Then, walk a few blocks to the apartment. That will take around 1 hour to reach Anyplace Select.
In general, it’s fairly easy to get around the city by taxi and Uber. You can also take a look at the subway and bus schedules to see if those modes of transportation are a better fit for where you’re headed.
Advice From a SF Local
San Francisco draws in tourists from all around the world for its charm, beauty, and amazing food and drink. Your Select apartment is in the SoMa – or South of Market – neighborhood. It is a very liveable area for its access to everything you’d need within walking distance.
Here are our favorite businesses in the area.
- Kagawa-Ya Udon (1455 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103): You can’t get closer than this fantastic noodle spot – just a 1-minute walk away. It’s Japanese bistro with udon, onigiri, tempura and curries. Simply put, one of the best and most unique udon spots in the city a well-known Italian restaurant with large, shareable portions that you can either eat in or take out.
- 54 Mint Ristorante Italiano (16 Mint Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94103): A gem in the heart of SoMa and a 15-minute walk away, 54 Mint is a go-to Italian trattoria with amazing pasta and wine. The outdoor patio is great, too. Pro tip: Get the cacio e pepe.
- Dottie’s True Blue Café (28 6th St, San Francisco, CA 94103): Dottie’s is a classic breakfast and brunch diner in SoMa, and for good reason. You’ll find plates full with scrambles and pancakes, fresh-baked muffins and scones, and plenty of tasty coffee. A 13-minute walk from the apartment.
- Ted’s Market (1530 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103): Looking for a cheap and delicious lunch? Go to Ted’s Market, a very unassuming market and deli with amazing sandwiches. Get the dutch crunch bread – trust us. Only a 6-minute walk away.
- Kama Sushi SoMa (294 9th St, San Francisco, CA 94103): For the best sushi in the area, hit up Kama, a 8-minute walk from the apartment. It’s great for take out orders if you’d like a fresh meal to-go. Don’t miss the killer happy hours deals, too.
- Peet’s Coffee (1400 Mission St Suite 130, San Francisco, CA 94102): Peet’s is a SF standard. They have good coffee, a lot of pastries, and the service is usually really quick. This is the closest cafe right around the corner – a 1-minute stroll.
- Philz Coffee (399 Golden Gate Ave, San Francisco, CA 94102): A 9-minute walk for arguably the best coffee in the city is totally worth it. When you order, you’ll tell them how you like your brew – for example, “medium sweet with cream” – and you’ll end up with the tastiest hand poured coffee.
- Blue Bottle (315 Linden St, San Francisco, CA 94102): There is no shortage of fantastic coffee in San Francisco. In fact, the city is known for it. Blue Bottle is probably the most renowned and for a reason: the coffee rules. The Linden store is about a 8-minute walk from the apartment.
- Anchor (1540 Market St Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94102): You have a fully equipped office in your unit, but if you’d like to join some other remote workers, Anchor is a solid option and just a 1-minute walk away.Hollywood, CA 90028): 14-minute walk.
- WeWork (1460 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94103): And then there’s WeWork, another great option for coworking option space and stones throw from the apartment – less than 1 block, actually.
There’s a traditional gym in your complex, but here are the fitness classes in your area:
- Orangetheory Fitness (1411 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103): 1-minute walk.
- Live Fit Gym • Hayes Valley (301 Fell St, San Francisco, CA 94102): 8-minute walk.
Pharmacies and Clinics
- Walgreens Pharmacy (1301 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103): 2-minute walk.
- Dignity Health-GoHealth Urgent Care (1600 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94102): 6-minute walk.
- Laundry: Your unit has a washing and drying machine, but this is our dry cleaning recommendation in the area.
- Gough Express Cleaners (648 Gough St, San Francisco, CA 94102): 13-minute walk.
- Veer & Wander (6 Brady St, San Francisco, CA 94103): 8-minute walk.
- The Nail Hall (1401 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94103): 1-minute walk.
What to Do in SoMa and San Francisco
- Zeitgeist: Choose one of the many draft beers at Zeitgeist and hang out on their huge outdoor patio. It’s a few blocks from the apartment, too.
- Golden Gate Park: This is a must visit, must see when in San Francisco. The park is massive and beautiful. Immerse yourself in nature – sometimes it’ll feel like you’re not even in a major city – and take in the wonderful smell from the eucalyptus trees.
- Walk Upper Haight Street + hike up Buena Vista Park: There’s a lot of music history ingrained in the Haight district – from the Grateful Dead to George Harrison to Jefferson airplane. It’s worth perusing up the street to people-watch, shop, and grab some food (Cha Cha Cha’s is excellent). If you’re feeling spry, hike up Buena Vista where you’ll be able to catch a glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge.
- SF Museum of Modern Art: Go see some art! Visit one of the largest museums of modern and contemporary art in the United States and discover work by artists from around the world.
- Dolores Park: This is a fantastic place to sit, hang out, and soak up some sun. It’s usually kind a party here, with plenty of sights to see.
Helpful Apps to Download
- Postmates: Food, alcohol, and grocery delivery app.
- GrubHub: Food delivery app.
- Waze: If you have a car, Waze is the go-to choice for updating traffic in the area.
- Uber: Ride-sharing app.
- Lyft: Ride-sharing app.
- Saucey: Alcohol delivery in SF.
- ParkMe: Parking can be hard to come by in LA, but this app helps you find a spot.
Thanks again for choosing us! If you run into any issues during your stay, we’re happy to help. You can contact us at email@example.com or call +1 415-741-2389.
Joe Frabotta is the Director of Marketing at Anyplace. He's a part-time nomad, traveling + working throughout the year but also having a home base in the mountains of Asheville, NC. When he's not working, you'll probably find him playing guitar, doing a section hike on the Appalachian Trail, or cooking up a storm in the kitchen.